Tuesday, September 2, 2008

#16 Week 41, Blessingways, and Toys

So, I'm staying true to my nature and running a little late!! I've also had a few conversations with some of the women in Rob's family, it turns out that tardiness runs in his family too!! His sister was born a month late and both Rob and their brother ran late as well, and many of his cousins and their children where between 2 and 3 weeks overdue! I certainly don't have providers that would condone 3 and 4 weeks overdue, but I'm holding out for a little more time! As it is, by my last menstrual cycle, I am 2 weeks overdue, but I have long cycles and I KNOW that I didn't conceive on a "normal" schedule, I probably conceived at least a week later maybe more, which is why I can push my providers to give me a little more time. There is progress being made, my cervex is softening and thinning and I am having "flexes" and "surges" periodically, just nothing in a pattern! I does feel like the baby is more in my pelvis than before, but I've been saying that for a month now!

A few weeks ago, my homegirl Tina, threw me a Blessingway. It was wonderful. My good friend Renee, drove all the way from Spokane to surprise me with her presence, K8 made it over from Vashon Island, and there was about 10 women total, which was just perfect! Rob spent most of his time outside with the children, which was just so adorable!! A.N. came to help before the party and when it got a little crowded bowed out of the party, and though I'd have liked it if she'd been able to stay, her help and presence was such a blessing that I can't hold it against her too much. ;) I got my belly casted, thank you ladies that helped. I had to bolster my self esteem for that as I am not a thin person, but hey, if you're gonna get whats important to you, you gotta do what you gotta do! I have to say the part that stands out the most is sitting in a chair in the living room with all my Ladies around me, we're all chatting, some are working on a necklace for me to wear at birth, Tina and K8 are soaking, salt scrubbing, and massaging my feet and Kim is braiding my hair, into which she's sticking blooming herbs from our garden! My glasses where off and I'd often find my eyes closing so the memory has this soft around the edges feel. Being surrounded by women who love me and each other as most of them knew each other was just so wonderful, every woman needs such a moment! Most of them brought a candle and A.N. brought me a Goddess figure to add to the few I already have, I'm just tickled with my birth alter. My other good friend that wasn't able to make it, made sure that I got a candle from her and she's loaned me the birth necklace that her women made her for her 2nd birth. Then I was at Hempfest with Rob and A.N. and found our friend who makes glass jewlery and art, he let us sit for a while (quite a blessing) and then gifted me with a beautiful necklace pendant. I'm going to be neck heavy during this birth!!

I was down at Freight House Square near the Tacoma Dome a couple of weeks ago and there was a new store, ChildTrek, (blog) which carries only eco-friendly, non-toxic toys!! It was the week before their official grand opening and the lovely lady running the place, hurried over to my belly to ask all of the standard questions and question my priorities. I assured her that I was tickled pink to find her store. She told me about her upcoming grand opening and I made plans to return the following week! I thought that her G.O. started on Tuesday, it was actually Wednesday, (runs through 9/14/08) so when I got down there with Rob, Tina and her two girls, and my very pregnant self to find her gate closed, I was a little frustrated in that way only a pregnant woman can get! Lucky me, she was in there and heard my exasperated comments! I do feel bad that she heard them, but it worked! She very generously offered to let us in to shop around. When I offered to return the next day, baby willing, because of the tempting G.O. special offers (cloth bag with $20 purchase), she said not a problem, all that stuff was already here and I was welcome to them! Seeing Tina's older girl (12yrs) excited on behalf of little kids was great, but seeing her younger one (4yrs), play and just enjoy herself with these safe toys was wonderful. Rob was a little adorable himself. He was looking at little rattle style toys for the littlest of babies and found one that said "from the first month" and "saliva proof paint". That 2nd quote was his favorite!! We couldn't choose just one item so we went with the rattle, a little orange dolly with a wooden teething ring, and a monkey puppet-washcloth. Not only did we get the cloth bag ( a really nice one), we got a couple of little "ornament" size toys that are more like examples of what they carry than actual toys and a cool pencil with a similar topper! Tina and the girls got some too (even though they weren't able to make any purchases)! Then to top it off, we were at the Olympia Co-op this last weekend, we saw a family with a little one in a carrier with a toy that we saw at the store, so we mentioned it to the family. They said that they'd researched the toys (Plan Toys) and had to get them on-line, because even in Hippy Haven - Olympia, there wasn't a store that carried them, at least that they could find. The lady behind us in line also joined the conversation and we told them that we'd found a new store in Tacoma, at Freight House Square, that carried these and other safe toys exclusively! They were excited and I truly believe that they will find themselves at ChildTrek sometime in the future! The Power of Word of Mouth!!

Well, I've got to go get ready for another DR appointment, we have a lot of them these days!!

No comments: